Monday, January 9, 2012

Memories are forever.

My interest in blogging was finalized today when I realized that memories are forever. You're probably wondering what I'm talking about, so let me back up a little bit. During this winter break, on several different occasions, I have come across the same or similar theme. What put the icing on the cake for me today was a funeral I attended for my best friends mother. About a year ago, Mrs. Cox was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer. At this point, I was clueless as to how severe this disease really was. Both sides of my own family have experienced lung cancer and 3 other types of the nasty disease, however I was too young to feel the actual impact the disease has on the human body. As this last year has gone by, I wasn't there to witness first hand the rapid decrease in Mrs. Cox's health, however Aspen kept me updated frequently through text messages, phone calls and of course our usual "date night" while home from school. It wasn't until recently that I realized Mrs. Cox's cancer was terminal, and no one could have prepared for how fast it would take over. About a week and a half ago Aspen and I were having a conversation while I was in Miami, Florida for the Clemson bowl game, about her mother being moved to hospice where she could be more comfortable. I had planned on seeing her and her family the day after I returned from Miami; however it was too late. I couldn't help but to break down because I know if that was my own mother, my whole world would fall apart. My mom is my everything, as was Aspen's mom to her. As we reminisced last night at the visitation of all the good times we shared with Angela Cox and her family, it hit home with me that this could happen to anyone at anytime, and that those memories we were speaking about, all of a sudden became extremely cherished and valuable, no matter how small the details were. It's moments like those, that make me realize what a blessing the gift of life really is, and that most of us take for granted the people who surround us and the time we share with them. So I took a moment out of my day today, to make sure I told the most important people in my life "I love you." And when I start sweating the small stuff, I'll remind myself that it could be worse; and rather than worrying, I'll start enjoying. Because in the end, It's the simple things in life like family, friends and MEMORIES that mean the most when it's all said and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment